How does Humm work?
3 simple steps to get you up and humming!
At checkout, select Humm as your payment option
Sign up and complete verification, then select your preferred payment plan
Pay weekly or fortnightly and enjoy your holiday now
Pick a plan to suit you
Different plans for different lifestyles
Frequently Asked Questions
- Good news – you don’t need to do anything! Humm will automatically move you over to humm.
All you need to do is log into shophumm.com/nz using your existing log in details and you’ll see all your current purchases and your available balance. No need to change your debit or credit card linked for payment. They’ve got this covered also. All you need to do is log into shophumm.com/nz using your existing log in details and you’ll see all your current purchases and your available balance. No need to change your debit or credit card linked for payment. They’ve got this covered also.
Please make sure you download the humm app to make things easier going forward.
- When you buy a ‘Little thing’ with humm, there are no fees. It’s that simple!
When you buy a ‘Big thing’ you’ll pay an establishment fee of $20 which is charged at time of purchase. Then you’ll pay $2.50 a month.
You’ll only ever pay a single monthly fee regardless of the number of ongoing ‘Big things’ purchases you have made.
A late payment fee of $10 will apply if your payment is not made by the due date.
- Helloooo! This bit’s super simple.
You can sign up for a humm account here. Or, you can sign up via the humm app.
To sign up in the app simply click on one of the buttons below to download the humm app:
Once you’ve got the app running, just follow the steps and you’ll be good to go. Niiiice!
New humm customer
- Humm get that you have two different types of spending and they’ve built this insight into the way humm works. First, there’s everyday spending – smaller amounts you want to pay back fast. Then, there’s big ticket items, where you need more time to repay. With humm, you can handle both quickly, easily and from the same app. Makes sense, right?
- Yes, but you need to…
- Be 18 years or older.
- Be a permanent resident of New Zealand.
- Have a permanent job (at least 25 hours a week) or be on a New Zealand Super or Veteran’s Pension.
- Be sure you’re not insolvent (or declared bankrupt).
- Have a valid New Zealand driver licence or passport.
- Sure thing. humm is the only ‘Buy Now, Pay Later’ service that’s perfect for both the ‘Little things’ and ‘Big things’ in life. It’s fast, easy to use and there’s a wide and ever-increasing range of places to shop.
To start humm-ing, simply click here https://buyer.shophumm.co.nz/registration/mobile or download the app and follow the steps. Once you’ve done that you’ll be able to see your account info and take the first steps on your interest-free forever. Woo-hoooo!
What do we mean by ‘Little things’ and ‘Big things’? Here’s the deets…‘Little things’‘Big things’Can apply for up to $1,000Apply online for up to $4,000Repay in 5 or 10 instalments weekly or fortnightlyRepay weekly or fortnightly over 6 monthsRepay and free up your balance to spend againApply each time you want to buy a big thing
Once you have applied and been approved, you can buy stuff:
- Online – simply choose humm at checkout and you’ll be taken through humm to get your payment sorted.
- With ‘little things’ you can buy up to 5 items at any one time – as long as you stay within your limit. As you buy stuff the amount you have to spend – humm calls it ‘available spend’ – goes down. And of course, as you repay, that ‘available spend’ figure goes back up again.
For ‘Big things’, they’ll do an affordability assessment when you go through the application to let you know how much you have to spend. (As part of the application, you’ll need to share access to your bank statements for information to help them in their approval process). This makes things much easier for humm to make an affordability assessment and more importantly simpler and easier for you!
Note: An establishment fee applies each time you make a big things purchase.
- You can do it 2 ways.
If you know exactly what it is you want to purchase, the amount you request should be based on the value of purchase you want to make. It’s not like a credit limit, it’s an available amount of funds to make a single big thing purchase.
If you are still looking, pre-approvals are the way to go. Apply before you shop through the humm app and tell humm how much you’d like. they’ll assess your pre-approval amount on your ability to pay this amount back over a 6 month period.
Once approved you’ll get a barcode which indicates the maximum amount you can spend. Remember, pre-approval lasts 90 days
To fulfil humm’s obligations as a responsible lender, if you want to purchase something else with your big things wallet, you need to go through an application again.
- Yes they do – they need to be sure, both for you and them that you have the ability to afford to pay for the things you want.
- The short answer is, humm have to play it safe. For your sake and theirs.
To unpack that in a bit more detail, as a responsible provider of credit, humm look at several factors as part of their assessment process. This includes (but is not limited to):
- Your repayment history with other lenders and accounts (e.g. telco, utilities and credit accounts). This helps to determine whether you can comfortably meet your repayments.
- Other information you provided which allows them to consider your application, such as how much you earn, your spending and whether you’re working, into consideration.
We hope you understand it’s all about us being responsible rather than negative, judgemental or anything like that.
- In some cases, humm do reduce the amount they give you. This is an extra precaution they take based on our assessment of your ability to repay. Over time, as they get to know you better, they may offer to increase this amount.
- No – you have to go through an application process every time you want to purchase a big thing.
- For both little and big things you pay a 20% deposit at the time you make a purchase. Don’t worry, this is your first payment and not an additional cost. The remaining balance of your purchase is then divided up over the rest of your payments.
If you are using big things for your purchase your $20 establishment fee will also be charged at the time you pay your deposit
My humm account
- Eaaaasy! Simply login to your account and look for Plan Details on the humm app or website to see your account balance.
- Whether you’ve just got married or you’ve decided to change your name by deed-poll, it’s all good. To change the name on your account, drop humm a line at email@example.com with a copy of a marriage certificate, driver licence or passport, which shows your correct legal name.
- Zero. Nothing. Nada. The technical term we use is ‘nil balance’. If this is the case for you, it may mean that you need to add a debit or credit card.
- Now that your humm purchase has been fully repaid, your account becomes inactive and there are no more fees or charges to pay. However, if you want to purchase something, don’t worry, having an inactive account doesn’t mean you can’t use it, it just means you won’t be charged anything.
- Absolutely! Pay your outstanding balance at any time you like – there are no charges or fees to do this.
To find your pay-out figure, go to the Payments section of the humm app or the humm website and follow the steps.
Or, if you prefer, you can transfer funds to humm. Please note – transfers must be completed three days before your scheduled debit date.
Bank Name – ANZ
Account – 01-1839-0935068-01 (001)
Account Name – Humm (may appear as Flexigroup (New Zealand Limited)
Transaction reference – Your purchase number
Once your balance has been repaid in full – and as long as you have no other active purchases – your account will become inactive and you won’t be charged any fees.
- You sure can. Using the Pay Now feature, you can make early repayments on an active purchase at any time. You’ll need to have an active debit or credit card on your account to do this.
If you don’t have an active debit or credit card on your account, simply add one before using Pay Now. Here’s how:
- Go to Settings, Payment Methods, Add New Card, and fill out the details.
Anti Money Laundering information
- New Zealand has passed a law called the Anti-Money Laundering and Countering Financing of Terrorism Act 2009 (AML/CFT for short). Humm must ensure they can identify their customers, know their addresses and, in some cases, know the sources of our customers’ funds.
Unfortunately if they can’t identify you as per the above, we can’t let you continue with your purchase.
If you are an existing customer and humm have requested you identify yourself for AML purposes AND you already have an existing payment plan, you can continue to pay off your current purchases (e.g. your weekly or fortnightly payments will continue normally) but you cannot make additional purchases until they have AML verified you.
AML doesn’t just apply to humm. It also applies to betting agencies, casinos, banks, lawyers, accountants and real estate agents.